Monday, September 19, 2011

insect study

We are studying insects in zoology. On Thursday morning last week, when it froze, K and I went out early in the morning to photograph the beautiful frosty morning and to explore.

We talked about how frost kills, how beautiful it is, and how quickly it disappears. Later in the day, we listened to Chapter 3 of The Long Winter. In the chapter, Fall of the Year, Laura describes the early killing frost that they experience the year of the long winter.

We found a dragonfly and discussed the parts of an insect while I photographed him. Then we placed him in the sun to warm up.






I was so focused on capturing his compound eyes, the little whiskers on his old-man-face, and the whiskers on his legs I didn't get a full body shot. :)

We took photos of frosted flowers and frosty bees.









This weekend, we went apple picking. Here are a couple of photos. If you want to read more, you can go to my personal blog, those northern skies.


3 comments:

no spring chicken said...

I love home schooling... and Charlotte mason. What freedom we have. Freedom to love our subjects. Freedom to study them for their beauty and richness, not just for the facts.

Blessings, Debbie

no spring chicken said...

Oops. I forgot to answer your question. The book my daughter is reading is Peter Pan. The illustrator of this lovely volume is Scott Gustafson.

Debbie

Phyllis said...

Frost already,huh? Beautiful photos, as always!