Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Christmas Books and Music

When C was an infant, my Grandpa M baptized her. He threw the congregation of our church for a loop by requesting to sing Jesus Loves Me during the baptism. He asked to do it because if my Grandmother had still been alive she would have wanted to. What he started was a tradition in our little family.

We started singing songs/hymns at bedtime with C and then with K as well. We started with Jesus Loves Me in remembrance of my Grandfather (the song recalls him to me) and as the years have rolled by, we have added more hymns and carols (we sound awful but that is completely beside the point). For reasons unknown to me, hubs likes the carol Good King Wenceslas.


Lo and Behold!! C is learning it for piano this year. So I got out an old Christmas Song Book and suggested we learn it during advent this year.


Now the girls run around the house singing it (all five verses).


If you are unfamiliar with the sweet story of Good King Wenceslas, check out this article on Wikipedia.

1 comment:

Jenny said...

Oh, that is so sweet. My girls sing in a choir and have been singing Christmas songs and hymns all month. Your book looks wonderful; we've been looking through our Tomie Depaola Christmas Carols book while we listen.