Sunday, June 17, 2007

raggedy ann and raggedy andy



I never had a Raggedy Ann or Raggedy Andy doll as a child. I never had the books about them written by Johnny Gruelle. I think my grandpa and grandma M had a doll and one Golden Book based on them. Yet I grew up thinking they were something special. I think they are.

Both my girls received Raggedy dolls from my Mom at my request when they were little. I love them but my girls could care less.

I've recently read the stories with my girls and I find them nauseatingly sweet, but my girls love them.



I honestly don't know what exactly holds the appeal of these dolls but they are appealing. I did some research on them and I do know that the story behind their invention and the books written about them is a fascinating story of tragedy, loss, and hope. I wrote an article about their history.

No comments: